Did you know that 3 out of every 4 Child Safety Seats are incorrectly installed?
This combined with children in the incorrect style of car seat equates to a 90% rate of children being in the wrong seat or the seat being incorrectly installed.
The Pontiac Fire Department provides free child safety seat inspections and installation assistance. Although there is no law requiring an inspection, we offer free inspections to ensure a safer installation. The child safety seat program is intended to educate adults on how to properly install a child’s seat.
Car seat checks are provided by a Safety Seat Technician who is certified through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the installation of child safety car seats.
• Checks and installations are conducted by appointment at the Pontiac Fire Department during business hours Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. Please call (815) 842-3225 and ask to speak with the on-duty shift commander to schedule appointment.
• Please bring the manuals for both your vehicle and the car seat to help in proper installation.
• The child should also attend to ensure proper fitting of the harnesses.
• If you cannot make your scheduled appointment, be sure to call to cancel or reschedule.
Note: Due to the fire department’s responsibilities of responding to emergencies there may be times when an appointment will have to be rescheduled.
Other Child Safety Seat Considerations:
• Follow the instructions and recommendations for the child seat.
• Be sure your child is within the height and weight limits of the child seat.
• Visit the NHTSA website for more information on car seat safety.