Message from the Chief of Police
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your visit to our website. The mission of the Pontiac Police Department is to work in partnership with the community to protect life and property, solve neighborhood problems and to enhance the quality of life in our city. The site contains information about who we are and the services we provide. Our number one priority is accomplishing our mission with unconditional respect for all. We believe respect is not earned but an inherent part of our very being. I hold the officers of the Pontiac Police Department to lofty standards and I expect you should too, but most importantly, the officers hold themselves to the same high standards.
- Full Service Patrol Unit
- Investigations/narcotics and vice
- K-9 Unit
- Parking Enforcement
- School Resource Officer in PTHS and District 429
- Sex Offender Registry (Offender Watch icon on right side)
- Nixle Alerts
- Tactical Response Team
TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED DURING COVID-19
- Fingerprinting (Volunteers, passports...) Ink only, no livescan
Get FD258 (Applicant print card to FBI) Here. You must print it on stock paper. More info at https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
- Group and Business Training
Identification Training for Alcohol and Tobacco Sales
Crime Trends and Police Response (Scams, elderly, retail)
- Gun Locks- Project Childsafe
- Notification Services by text and email (NIXLE, and Offender Watch)
- Safe Passage Detox Initiative
- Pharmaceutical Take Back (P2D2) Controlled Substances and Uncontrolled
- Residential House Checks
- Temporary Parking Permits
- Temporary Firearm Storage (During temporary stay in skill care etc.) call for approval-815-844-5148.
NEW INFORMATION- November 2020
Premise Alert Program-A cooperative effort between the mental health community and police to improve special needs citizen interactions with law enforcement. More Information Here
The City of Pontiac is a Fire and Police Commission community. All hiring for police and fire is conducted by the commission according to state law requirements. Pontiac PD maintains a hiring eligibilty list and will advertise on www.theblueline.com when testing for the list.
Provides rules for hiring and some governing powers as given by 65 ILCS 5/10 et sequence.
Pontiac Police Department participates in Law enforcement Supply Office 1033 program (LESO). The policy for the program is available here.