A Thriving & Welcoming Community
Located near or in the City of Pontiac are a wide variety of amenities, which help to create the above average quality of life enjoyed by those who live and work here.
- Education: Pontiac has wonderful schools. Our commitment to education is reflected in the quality of the facilities, faculty and staff, and programming. View a complete list of local schools.
- Shopping: Pontiac is the retail shopping focus of the area. We have a bustling downtown shopping district, a number of national retail shopping chain stores, and opportunities for growth.
- Medical Care: The OSF St. James - J. W. Albrecht Medical Center serves the greater Pontiac area. This medical facility is among the finest in Central Illinois. Pontiac is home to a number of medical professionals.
- Public Parks: The Pontiac Parks and Recreation Department offers 10 city parks. The Pontiac Recreation Center has fitness programs, a running / walking track, a swimming facility, and exercise equipment.
- The Pontiac Recreation Complex includes baseball / softball fields, volleyball / basketball / tennis courts, and a football / soccer field.
- Humiston Woods Nature Center is a 355 acre wooded preserve located northwest of town. The Nature Center offers seven trails, two pavilions, four picnic areas, a fishing pond, a canoe dock, and includes three handicapped-accessible areas.
- Special Events: Pontiac hosts a number of annual events throughout the year, including the Threshermen’s Reunion, the Red Carpet Corridor Festival, Heritage Days, the Pontiac Holiday Tournament (high school basketball), and the Livingston County Fair. There are additional events sponsored by the Pontiac-Oakland Automobile Museum and other organizations throughout the year.
- Sports: Pontiac has an impressive roster of local sporting teams and events. There are two excellent golf courses.
- Vibrant Art Community: Pontiac enjoys an active arts scene with local artists and performing arts groups.
- Tourism Growth: Pontiac is one of the most popular stops along historic Route 66. The city welcomes nearly 50,000 visitors per year and has experienced a steady increase in tourism numbers. International visitors comprise 35% of the total visitors to the city.
- Attractions: The City of Pontiac offers visitors four wonderful museums, Looking for Lincoln heritage sites, the Murals on Main Street Tour, and several historic homes.
- Dynamic Promotion: Pontiac Tourism advertises in a variety of media. Our webpage has been visited by interested parties from over 180 countries around the world.
Assets in Higher Education
The City of Pontiac is located within driving distance of several colleges and universities, including:
- Illinois State University (37 Miles)
- University of Illinois (70 Miles)
- Bradley University (60 Miles)
- Heartland Community College (Main Campus = 37 Miles; Satellite Campus in Pontiac)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (38 Miles)
- Northwestern University (110 Miles)
- University of Chicago (100 Miles)
- Loyola University (108 Miles)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (100 Miles)
Heartland Community College has a satellite campus in Pontiac. The city has existing relationships with the University of Illinois, Illinois State University, and Heartland Community College.